Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm a Satisficer

My name is Blair, and I'm a Satisficer

("Hi Blair!")

While reading the October 2008 issue of Real Simple (love it!) I came across an article by Gretchen Ruebin titled "Ten Ways to be Happier." I was intrigued. In it I learned there are two types of decision makers: "Satificers" and "Maximizers".

She writes:

"Satisficers (yes, satisficers) make a decision once their criteria are met. When they find the hotel or the pasta sauce that has the qualities they want, they’re satisfied. Maximizers want to make the best possible decision. Even if they see a bicycle or a backpack that meets their requirements, they can’t make a decision until they’ve examined every option. Satisficers tend to be happier than maximizers. Maximizers expend more time and energy reaching decisions, and they’re often anxious about their choices. Sometimes good enough is good enough."

I occured to me, I have been a Satisficer throughout this entire planning process, and will do my darndest to stay that way. I have mentioned this before, but reading it tickled me pink...just a little bit.

I must clarify....I am not always a true Satisficer. You can ask my MOH about the time I spent hours debating over what type of purse to buy. Seriously I spent more time deciding on that than my wedding dress.

What brought on this clarity of choice in decision making? I haven't the slightest idea, but one must not question a good thing....that would be very Maximizer of me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved this!!! And so very true! I obviously am a satisficer as well! Obviously we have a special relative who is a maximizer to the max!!! He shall not be named- and we love him anyway!!! Momma