Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Making a list. Checking it twice.

I just counted and we are three months and eleven days away from the marriage day. My how time does fly. Honestly this year has been a blur…what happened to 2008?

From time to time Jürgen and I both like to reference various wedding checklists to keep the wedding planning on track and stress free. This morning I cross-referenced two checklists to see how we are doing. Here is what I found:

The Real Simple wedding guide suggests the following actions should be taken at the 4-month mark:

--Book the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner venues. If you're planning a day after brunch book that place as well: Done, Done, and maybe done? We are having a day after brunch but I need to send an e-mail to the host to see where we are at on that.

--Check on the wedding invitations: Done, and have been for MONTHS! (go team go!)

--Select and order the cake: Done

--Send your guest list to the host of your shower: Done

--Purchase shoes and start dress fittings: Oh my heart sinks looking at this. I must find shoes but wherever will I find the right ones? Will shoe shop this weekend, with mom. I will call the tailor recommended to me by a friend today to set up a time for next week.

--Schedule hair and make-up artists. Make a few trial appointments: I have a hair trial set up for this Sunday, however I need to secure the hair and make-up artists for the wedding. Will do this today (god bless my easy day job).

--Choose Songs. What do you want playing when the wedding party is introduced? What should play during dinner?: Done! We sent our list of what to and what not to play in last week. Since there will not be a sit down dinner there is no worry of what to play and, hate to say it, the wedding party will not get an introduction (sorry guys!).

--Plan welcome baskets for guests, if desired: I do desire this! Mom and I have come up with some good ideas but we need to finalize everything. It's on our list to tackle while I am home this weekend.

Theknot.com suggests I should accomplish these tasks between today and October 23rd:

-Book ceremony Musicians and send deposit: Not done. I did fax in the music form to the director of music yesterday. Awaiting reply.

-Finalize menu and service details with caterer: Not done yet. We have another tasting on October 20th, so it is highly unlikely all will be settled by the 23rd. However I a not worried about this.

-Research and purchase wedding insurance, if necessary: What?!?!?! I will research. Clearly this was not on my mind. I have a feeling I will deem it "unnecessary."

-Brides: Buy special lingerie if your gown requires, in time for first fitting: Hmmmm…nope don't think it does

-Confirm Delivery date of Bridesmaid Dress orders: Will give Rebecca's a call today.

-Start taking better care of yourself (eat right, exercise) so you look and feel great on your wedding day: We both exercised yesterday! However we followed our workout with hamburgers and fries…not so good?

-Talk to people you want to do special performances or readings: Halfway done, I have asked one of our readers. Jürg needs to ask the other. Jürgen…get on it!

-Arrange for all insurance policies to include you and your future spouse: health, auto, homeowners and life insurance: That all sounds incredibly boring but necessary. Will figure out how to do this.

-Send wedding bands out to be engraved: Paying for the wedding bands this weekend (while I am in Louisville). Will send them to be engraved then.

-Grooms: Choose and buy any accessories you will need: Done I think. Jürg bought his tie and the rest will be included with the tux rental. Will check with him on this.


In total: 18 tasks on the list
7 totally done
7 almost/halfway done
4 to DO!


Not bad. Let the crossing off begin!

No comments: